Akira Akabayashi Dr. Akabayashi, MD, PhD, is Professor in the Department of Biomedical Ethics at the University of Tokyo Graduate School of Medicine and Director of UT-CBEL (University of Tokyo Center of Biomedical Ethics and Law). His research interests include cross-cultural bioethics, informed consent, end-of-life issues, research ethics, bioethics policy, and clinical ethics. Professor Akabayashi serves as Chair of the Ethics Committee at the University of Tokyo Faculty of Medicine. He is also a member of several government bioethics policy committees in Japan. He is an associate editor for BMC Medical Ethics, a consulting editor for Asian Bioethics Review, on the editorial boards of the Journal of Medical Ethics and Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics, and editor-in-chief of the Journal of the Japan Association for Bioethics. He is also a Fellow of The Hastings Center.
Education & Employment:
- 1983 M.D. in Medicine, The University of Tokyo
- 1990 Ph.D. in Medicine, The University of Tokyo
- 1993 Visiting scholar at The Hastings Center
- 1999 Lecturer, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo
- 2000 Professor, Department of Biomedical Ethics, School of Public Health, Kyoto University
- 2003 Professor, Department of Biomedical Ethics, School of Public Health, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo
Dr. Akira Akabayashi
Department of Biomedical Ethics
University of Tokyo Graduate School of Medicine
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku
His publication list is here.