Official and unedited institutional summaries of numerical evaluations at graduate level.
School of Health Science and Nursing, School of Public Health
*After class, students are given a questionnaire survey from a committee of the University Medical School Registrar and are asked to select one of the five options below. Under this system, a high evaluation is 5.0, and there is space for free comments. These are anonymous surveys, and the professor receives only the collective results (anonymous) at a later date.
- I highly disagree.
- I disagree.
- I cannot say either way.
- I agree.
- I strongly agree.
Biomedical Ethics I (21 hours, required, School of Health Science and Nursing, School of Public Health, graduate level, Master’s course)
Please rate the following statements with regard to this course.
|The faculty member demonstrated passion for education.||4.75||4.38||4.31|
|The faculty member understood and respected the students.||4.63||4.50||4.08|
|The faculty member provided an appropriate level of instruction and feedback to the students.||4.63||4.50||4.23|
|The faculty member proactively worked to engage students in class and lab activities.||4.75||4.50||4.46|
|The faculty member had abundant knowledge and excellent reasoning skills.||4.63||4.50||4.08|
|The faculty member used real-life examples to teach new techniques and skills.||4.25||4.63||4.08|
|The faculty member created an atmosphere that encouraged students to ask questions.||4.50||4.50||4.15|
|The faculty member used educational resources (slides, printouts) effectively.||4.63||4.38||4.15|
|The class content was easy to understand and well-organized.||4.63||4.25||4.00|
|The class content was presented at a difficulty level that was appropriate for students.||4.38||4.13||4.23|
|The class content stimulated intellectual curiosity.||4.63||4.25||4.00|
|My knowledge increased through the lecture, practicum, and lab.||4.63||4.25||4.00|
|Overall evaluation of the lecture, practicum, and lab||4.38||4.38||4.15|
Biomedical Ethics II (21 hours, elective, School of Health Science and Nursing, School of Public Health, graduate level, Master’s course)
Please rate the following statements with regard to this class.
|The faculty member demonstrated passion for education.||5.00||4.60||4.50|
|The faculty member understood and respected the students.||5.00||4.60||4.38|
|The faculty member provided an appropriate level of instruction and feedback to the students.||5.00||4.75||4.43|
|The faculty member proactively worked to engage students in class and lab activities.||5.00||4.60||4.38|
|The faculty member had abundant knowledge and excellent reasoning skills.||5.00||4.60||4.25|
|The faculty member used real-life examples to teach new techniques and skills.||4.75||4.60||4.50|
|The faculty member created an atmosphere that encouraged students to ask questions.||5.00||4.60||4.50|
|The faculty member used educational resources (slides, printouts) effectively.||5.00||4.60||4.50|
|The class content was easy to understand and well-organized.||5.00||4.60||4.38|
|The class content was presented at a difficulty level that was appropriate for students.||5.00||4.80||4.50|
|The class content stimulated intellectual curiosity.||5.00||4.80||4.50|
|My knowledge increased through the class, practicum, and lab.||5.00||4.80||4.50|
|Overall evaluation of the class, practicum, and lab||5.00||4.80||4.50|
Unedited student comments
- In Japan, you can only hear these lectures at the School of Public Health of the University of Tokyo. The class content was very progressive and very practical.
- Ethics comprises a lot of outdated content so it is a difficult subject to handle, but the lectures in this class focused on important points in clinical medicine, and were very easy to understand. This class was very valuable because I was able to learn about things that would be applied to modern-day clinical ethics in a chronological order.
- During each class period, there was a time for discussion, and we covered some deep content. The lectures were also very enjoyable.
- It’s not an enjoyable area of study to get into, but personally, I felt drawn to this subject. During the introduction, I was doubtful about whether I would actually use the content in actual settings, but with each additional class, I became increasingly aware of the application to real-life situations.
- Practical and useful for the future.
- There were many opportunities for discussion with relatively few people, and the content was intriguing.
- The lectures had even deeper content, and as someone who will work in clinical settings, I feel that I have been given the opportunity to study content that will benefit me practically in the future. That said, I had a hard time disengaging myself from my past way of thinking, which prevented me from developing discussion skills that employed ethical theories. Perhaps discussion formats such as role-playing, in which everyone states their opinion from their assigned position, could be interesting.
- It was encouraging to be given time for group presentation during each class period.
- The mock IRB was fun. The first class on the foundations of ethics was a bit difficult, but by working hard to understand the content, the classes following that were much easier to understand, which was great.
- It was very enlightening to be able to have discussions with other students from various backgrounds and outside of my own major.
- As one with prior clinical experience, I was hoping for more depth in the discussions and overall content.
- It was clear that the professor wanted to encourage student involvement in this course.
- The discussion was extremely helpful.
- Group work (GW) was incorporated into the class format, and it was interesting to have a ‘knowledge + practicum’ format to learn about actual issues. Problems in reality cannot be solved even using ethics, and I realized that there really is no right answer. That said, perhaps because of the content of the ethical issues, I was unable to organize the theoretical points, and I am not confident that I will be able to apply the content I learned in class to real life situations.
- Thank you for the highly interesting class. I wish that this class had been offered when I was a medical student.
- It was a very interesting class. The small class size helped, and personally, I thought that rather than keeping the lecture time as just lecture, and Discussion time for Discussion, a format in which Discussion is incorporated into the lecture might be interesting.
- It was really interesting to be able to debate with others from varying backgrounds, such as graduate students in law school.